Monday, September 03, 2007

Sunday Night Steals And Deals

I know it's late Monday night-- but with kids in town, it being Labor Day- just not a lot of time to write. This week, I am looking at golf course properties, for us, on the course, and I reviewed 4 different categories, all on the golf course: under 350K, under 500k, 500- 800K and ...if price was no object.

In the under 350 category two great courses and communities met head to head with several entries. I chose a listing in Highland Creek over an identically priced Olde Sycamore home because it was a better lot, better view and it's tee location means fewer golf balls raining on unsuspecting folks out back. In addition, its full brick, over 3100 sf, with new floors. I give an edge to Highland Creek, consistently one of Charlotte's most popular communities. It is listed at 349,500, I'd try 333 or so, and see where it goes.

In the 350-500k category I chose a golf course home in the Highland Creek "move-up" neighborhood of Skybrook. This 3900 sf all brick home sits on 1/3 acre, just a short walk to the amenity center. Currently listed at 500k,this home is with a relo company, been on the market a while and needs some updating. At 500k, it's less than its counterparts which have around 3250-3500 sf for the same asking price. Try 475,000, plan on updating the kitchen, and come out ahead.

In the under 800K, the best values moved south with Ballantyne Country Club (BCC) and Providence Country Club (PCC) with two great golf course homes in this price range. Similar in size, I went with the older but slightly larger PCC home because of its lot, its great street, the many updates and a school preference that gives PCC an edge over BCC. This home has great curb appeal, a beautiful porch, newly finished hardwoods and new carpet. Add to it the double master bedrooms and over 4300 sf... quite a choice at the asking of 735, I think you'll have to pay 710 to get it.

In the price is no object category, a Ballantyne Country Club home was a clear winner, with only distant 2nd places. Near the cul-de sac of James Jack, it sit's on a ridge that overlooks 3 golf holes, a pond, and still has room for a free form in-ground pool and play area. Over 8000 sf on 3 floors, state of the art kitchens- bathrooms, media rooms, and a grand entrance make this quite a place. Listed at 2,495,000- I think 2.3 will get it. I know- lets get two!
So that's it for the week- next week I'm looking in town at a couple of condo price points and in Dilworth and Myers Park. As always, I represent buyers, and in the interest of fairness, none of these recommendations are my listings, and as such MLS rules prohibit use of pictures. E mail me for more information at Terry (at) TerryMcDonaldRE.com. My recommendations are based on square foot and asking price, community amenities and my knowledge of the area-- your opinion would likely vary, and further investigation would be required. See you next week!

No comments: